Wednesday, May 28, 2008

About being in love with certain major appliances


Like, my new refrigerator, which looks like this.

It is a Whirlpool refrigerator. It is a black refrigerator with French doors.

It is a refrigerator with a place in the door to get water and ice. And the ice can be crushed if you want. And it has a light to turn on so you can see the water or the ice.

It is a refrigerator that is just beginning to be filled with food, because I had to throw out all the old food from my previous, dead refrigerator. Although not all, because, don't you think pickles would be okay? And, mustard? How about wasabi paste?

It is a refrigerator that was too tall for the space it has to fit in, so the cupboards had to be taken down. And I don't think I want the cupboards back, because I can't get in them anyway, because they are over the refrigerator.

It is a refrigerator with two minor blemishes, but one is on the side behind the cupboards and the other is way down by the floor, and they took another $90 off the already-marked-down-price, so it was a pretty good deal. So I have done my part with my tax incentive money, you are welcome, U.S.A.

It is a refrigerator that I am getting a rebate on for the delivery. And I know what I'm going to do with the rebate (see next paragraph.)

As a black refrigerator, it matches the stove and dishwasher beautifully. But the white microwave now horribly looks out of place. So I must get a new one that matches better. (See paragraph above.)

It is a refrigerator that has not one, not two, not three, but FOUR lights inside, so I can see all the new food really, really well.

It is a refrigerator that runs very quietly, unlike the old refrigerator, which ran extremely noisily, especially near the end of its life, when it also quit being cold, despite the noise.

It is a refrigerator that has shelves you can adjust, even in the door, so my two-liter bottles of Diet Coke will fit exactly, and I can drink them easily. With crushed or cubed ice, illuminated by that light I mentioned.

It is a refrigerator with more freezer space than I've ever had before, and I am very sad at the loss of my old frozen foods, because I had just bought some delicious new stuff. Which melted. Damn.

It is a refrigerator I will be happy to put food into, take food out of, and not worry about food melting.

Really, I am so in love with my new refrigerator.

Have you ever gotten overly attached to inanimate objects in your home?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get attached to inanimate objects in my home all the time ... it's when you start talking to them that you have to worry. And if you find yourself caressing them ... seek help immediately! :)

Vanessa said...

Congrats on the new fridge! I'm pretty obsessed with my Dyson and my washing machine, so yeah, I can relate!