Saturday, August 18, 2007

About it being Saturday

And all that implies. Mainly, that I don't usually have to jump out of bed at the crack of dawn.
Because I hate getting up early, and always have. I remember hating it even as a kindergartener, five years old. How many parents have (to me) horror stories of their kids who jump out bed at 5 a.m., ready to go? I've known a lot. I was not one of them, nor, thankfully, either of my kids.
Now, I work with people who are joyful early risers. These people, my friends, seem to thrive on awaking at 4:30 a.m.--or even earlier! -- and actually accomplishing things! They pray, write, exercise, do laundry, and God knows what BEFORE THEY GO TO WORK. Oh, the humanity.
Me? I calculate to the exact minute what I absolutely must do in the morning (1 minute, brush teeth. 10 minutes, wash and dry hair. 30 seconds, remember who I am). And walk out the door with just enough time to get to work in time to not be fired.
There's probably several things about myself I'd change if I could (more interest in my finances, less interest in shopping) but I always say that number one on my list is, I'd become an early riser.
Because, I feel guilty about wanting, or even needing to sleep in a little (and I do need seven hours). I don't know how people make it on 5 hours every night. Or less. And I also don't know how grownups go to bed at 8 p.m. (and I know some who do).
I think our national sleep patterns are really messed up, which might explain a lot of road rage and customer service nastiness.
Hey, wake up! What are you thinkin' about your nighty-night time?

No comments: